“Bubble-Modules” for Bus-Integration:
Due to the large glass surfaces and the sun quickly heating up buss interiors, the energy demand of busses is very high for ventilation and climate control. In summer time, air conditioning makes up 30 – 50 % of the entire energy consumption. With increasing sun irradiation, solar panels perfectly generate additional green energy to charge the battery for air conditioning. The major advantage of solar energy generated from solar bus systems is the fact that increasing sun irradiation also increases the output of solar systems. As the energy consumption of air conditioning systems also increases with rising sun irradiation, the higher solar yields cover for the increased air conditioning demand. This fact also contributes significantly to extend the driving range of busses as fuel is not consumed by climatisation and thus, fully available for driving distances.
The benefits at one glance:
- Solar energy significantly contributes energy for AC purposes
- Climatisation demand is directly fed by the solar system
- Solar energy extends parking climatisation time – using the bus batteries
- Significant range extension when integrated into electric or hybrid busses or shuttle vehicles, especially in summer
- Fresh air supply can be covered by solar energy while parking
- spherically curved solar panel surface avoids damages caused by vibrations
- Directly integrated into the roof structure
On a total (curved) roof top area 25 to 30 m², the typical area for air condition system of 4 m² has to be deducted. So the remaining bus surface allows for a total output of up to 3,5 kWp. With such a solar surface, up to 80% of air conditioning power can be generated. In summer this solar system allows to compensate for the increased fuel consumption due to climatisation by up to 50%.